Thursday, August 3, 2017

Promotional Post: MEET CUTE Anthology, Review, and Pre-Order Campaign Details!

Dear All:
HMH Teen has done it again with Meet Cute: Some People are Destined to Meet. What a great little anthology! Wonderful authors have written terrific stories of teens finding each other in the cutest of situations!


Meet Cute: Some People Are Destined to MeetGoodreads Book Description: Whether or not you believe in fate, or luck, or love at first sight, every romance has to start somewhere. MEET CUTE is an anthology of original short stories featuring tales of "how they first met" from some of today’s most popular YA authors.

Readers will experience Nina LaCour's beautifully written piece about two Bay Area girls meeting via a cranky customer service Tweet, Sara Shepard's glossy tale about a magazine intern and a young rock star, Nicola Yoon's imaginative take on break-ups and make-ups, Katie Cotugno's story of two teens hiding out from the police at a house party, and Huntley Fitzpatrick's charming love story that begins over iced teas at a diner. There’s futuristic flirting from Kass Morgan and Katharine McGee, a riveting transgender heroine from Meredith Russo, a subway missed connection moment from Jocelyn Davies, and a girl determined to get out of her small town from Ibi Zoboi. Jennifer Armentrout writes a sweet story about finding love from a missing library book, Emery Lord has a heartwarming and funny tale of two girls stuck in an airport, Dhonielle Clayton takes a thoughtful, speculate approach to pre-destined love, and Julie Murphy dreams up a fun twist on reality dating show contestants.
This incredibly talented group of authors brings us a collection of stories that are at turns romantic and witty, epic and everyday, heartbreaking and real.

My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 couches

My Review: I had a little harder time rating this book because it's a collection of short stories, and that's not typically what I read. But it's a very strong collection of stories and overall, I enjoyed all of them- thus, a 4.5 star rating. A few standouts for me include:
Print Shop by Nina LaCour- I love the idea of working in a print shop and how Twitter plays a role!
Click by Katherine McGee- this was the cute and adorable version of the very depressing Black Mirror episode about what being evaluated by a online algorithm could mean.
The Dictionary of You and Me by Jennifer L. Armentrout- I love libraries and how it factors into this meet cute is just perfect!
The Department of Dead Love by Nicola Yoon- I admit I like the futuristic ones, and I like how Yoon plays with this sci fi idea.
But overall, all of the stories are entertaining and cute in their own way, and I very much enjoyed this collection!

You should all pre-order this book, and the wonderful HMH Teen is doing a great swag pre-order giveaway. Details are here: https://twitter.com/HMHteen/status/892120186622537730 

Which stories are you most excited about? 


1 comment:

  1. I first came across this anthology on Instagram, and immediately added it to my Goodreads. I'm looking forward to Nicola Yoon's story the most, but I know a few others will be memorable. I love anthologies!

    ReplyDelete